Stop Snoring and Sleep Soundly with Custom Snore Guards in Greenbrae, CA
It is estimated that over 90 million Americans have a snoring problem. Add to this number the snorer’s immediate family; as many as 160 million people may be negatively affected by snoring. Snoring doesn’t just interrupt sleep. It can also be an indication that you are struggling to breathe while you sleep, which can lead to problems with high blood pressure, and increase the risk of stroke and heart attack. If snoring is particularly severe, it may indicate a complete blockage of your airway by the soft tissues in your mouth and throat, a serious sleep disorder known as Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). OSA can lead to more severe illnesses, and is found in about half of patients with snoring problems. If you or a loved one suffer from chronic snoring problems,schedule an appointment with Dr. Shapiro for a custom snoring solution today.
What Causes Snoring?
Snoring occurs when your airway is partially obstructed during sleep. A narrowed airway causes air to vibrate across the soft tissues in your mouth and throat. The more severe the obstruction, the greater the vibration, the louder the snoring will become. Snoring can be caused by several different factors including:
- Age: As we reach middle age, our throat narrows, and the muscle tone in our throats decrease.
- Anatomy: Men have narrower air passages than women and are therefore more likely to snore. A naturally narrow throat, a cleft palate, enlarged adenoids, and other hereditary attributes may also contribute to snoring.
- Nasal and sinus problems : Blocked airways can make inhalation difficult and create a vacuum in the throat, leading to snoring.
- Obesity: Excess fatty tissues in the throat and poor muscle tone can contribute to snoring.
- Behavioral: Alcohol intake, smoking, and taking certain medications can increase muscle relaxation and thus snoring.
- Sleep position : Sleeping flat on your back can cause the tissues in your throat to relax and block your airway.
How Do Snore Guards Work?
Dr. Shapiro offers snoring therapy with Silent Nite custom-fabricated Snore Guards. Snore Guards work by moving your lower jaw into a forward position, increasing space in your airway, and reducing soft tissue vibration. Snore guards are custom laminated with heat and pressure to precisely fit your mouth.
The fit is accurate and comfortable, permitting small movements of the jaw, and assuring unobstructed breathing.
Stop Snoring with a Greenbrae Snore Guard Appointment
Almost everyone snores occasionally, but if snoring starts affecting the quality of your sleep and that of your family, it’s time to take action. Snoring problems can often lead to daytime fatigue, irritability, and other health problems. If your snoring is also keeping your partner awake, it can cause relationship problems. Fortunately, Dr. Shapiro has your snoring remedy.Make your appointment withDr. Shapiro today for the restful night’s sleep you and your family deserve.Dr. Shapiro is a trusted family dentist proudly serving patients throughout Greenbrae, CA, Larkspur, Kentfield, Ross, San Rafael, and the surrounding communities.